By: Johana M. Caba, M.A.
Graphic Design is at the core of many of our favorite brands! From the logo to the ad graphics to the promotional videos, everything needs to be in unison. And, the one marker that helps us immediately recognize a brand we love is the centerpiece, the logo. In this post, we will go over some of my graphic design tips for designing your own logo for your small business, influencer brand, and blog. You don't have to be a designer to design something amazing if you follow tips from the pros.
You can design your logo on any platform that you feel comfortable using. This can be Adobe InDesign, Canva, Visme, and any other graphic design platform that you want to use. So, let's get into these 5 tips:
1. Font Styles: There is an anatomy to typography. Different parts of letters signify different things. We will not get into this because it is a post all on its own, but there are certain markers on letters that help us distinguish between fonts. The Serif fonts are distinct because they are the oldest font styles we know since the printing press was created. Some of these fonts include Times New Roman, Baskerville, Didot and Archer. The Sans Serif fonts came after and they don't have the same accent markers that the serif fonts have. What do I mean with this? Well, if you look at a typical serif font, you can tell that it has certain ears, tails and loops that make each letter distinct from any of the other two font styles. When we look at a sans serif font, we don't see the typical loops on lower case letter g or the distinct old-fashion lower case letter p. And, the third style is the script or cursive style of font. This is a more illustrative and creative type of font. When selecting font styles for our logos we need to decide which style fits best with our brand. For example, if we are a young, modern and hip brand we might select sans serif fonts like atrament or script fonts like coquette and artifact. Likewise, if we are going for a dark and moody feel we might go with antique olive nord d or cubano fonts. To go a step further, some approachable fonts will include archer pro and avance pro while some high-end fonts include azo sans black and bodoni 72. Just think about the typical fonts we see with brands we love like Nike, Adidas, Azos and Zara. Below is a quick Canva font styles guide to help you when selecting your distinct font:
2. Harmony of Colors: The psychology of color refers to the ways in which we see colors, how they make us feel, what memories they bring up and how they affect the way we think. First, we will discuss the harmony of colors. For graphic design, color is very important, so we need to understand color itself. The primary colors we know are blue, red and yellow. Secondary colors are orange, green and violet. From there, we can create different hues, tints, shades and tones to get the colors we want. We also need to understand the harmony between colors to create color palettes for the logos we are making. There are analogous colors which are next to each other in a color wheel, complementary colors which are opposites to each other, semi-complementary, triad and monochromatic colors as well. Split-complementary colors are defined as color schemes that use one base color and two secondary colors. On the color wheel, you can see this with the secondary colors being placed symmetrically around the base color. Triad is a color scheme that is a special variant of split-complimentary colors, but this time they are equal distances from each other on the color wheel. Monochromatic colors are different shades, tones and tints of the same hue. See the examples below for the differences in color and visit Adobe Color for more popular color combinations and palettes.
3. Psychology of Color: Like we discussed in the previous tip, the psychology of color refers to the ways in which we see colors, how they make us feel, what memories they bring up and how they affect the way we think. By understanding color, we can decide on how we want our audience/customers to feel when they see our brand. Of course, you can select your favorite colors, but it is good to have some idea of what these colors signify before finalizing our logos. For example, if we want our audience to think of our brand as a happy brand, we will use yellow and orange colors. Likewise, if we want our brand to stand for being vibrant and romantic, we will use shades and tones of pink. Think about why most sustainability brands and organic brands use the color green. The color green makes us think of words like growth, natural, organic and peaceful. So, it makes sense to use green in the logos and graphics of sustainability and organic brands. See the chart below for some more colors and for what purposes you can use them. Remember, to use this as a guide to help you when designing your logo.
4. Consistent Spacing: When it comes to branding, you can use grids if you are using InDesign to help you with ensuring that materials have consistent spacing throughout. You can always check on other platforms like Canva if your spacing is consistent by making sure everything looks equally spaced. When it comes to spacing between letters, this is called kerning. For example, Canva has a spacing tool that lets you select and experiment between different letter and line spacings to determine which space lengths work best. Click the link for a great kerning explanation from Canva. Spacing and grids can also help with the placement of different elements and texts in different materials. You can use this for posters, flyers, invitations and even product designs like a bottle of lotion or a candy bar.
5. The Golden Ratio of the Spiral: The spiral is a graphic design term that in geometry stands for a plane curve generated by a point moving around a fixed point while constantly receding from or approaching it. The point is that the fixed point is the center of your design (not necessarily the actual center). In graphic design, the fixed point is the attention grabber, it is where our eyes focus when looking at any particular design like a logo. From there, the less important elements are placed around that fixed point. In essence, this is the golden ratio which is a scientifically-proven number that makes something aesthetically pleasing in a deep level within our brains. The golden ratio gives us a specific number to use to structure designs. How do you find these numbers? Well, you multiply the size of any element by 1.618 to get what the size of another element should be. We see this in typography on posters and flyers all the time with the largest text being the headline or what we want people to see immediately. For a more in-depth explanation of the Golden Ratio, click the 99 Designs link.
I really hope that these 5 tips are helpful to you when creating your unique logo. You can use these tips when designing anything. And, if you need more help feel free to reach out to me by email, Twitter, LinkedIn or comment below.
By: Johana M. Caba, M.A.
Designing Pinterest Templates is one of the many tasks that bloggers have on their daily schedules. Many design and schedule them in advance to avoid rushing to post every single day. Pinterest is one of the best platforms to use to increase website traffic because the majority of users go there to find what they need and purchase items. You need to remember that Pinterest is a search engine, so you need to have good designs and attention-grabbing headlines. My favorite tool to use to design my own templates and to access pre-made templates is Canva. They have a lot of pre-made templates that make the designing process easier and faster. Click the link to see what Canva has to offer for your Pinterest needs!
You do not have to be a graphic design expert to design amazing graphics with Canva. They have a whole team of graphic designers that do that for you. All you need to do is edit the pre-made templates to fit your brand and showcase what you are trying to share. With Canva, you can also schedule pins in advance as soon as you finish designing your template. You can also schedule your pins in advance through Pinterest, HootSuite and other social media content calendars. See my Content Calendar How-To Guide for some more tips on creating your own Calendar.
If you want to create your own templates from scratch, there are many platforms that you can use. These include Adobe InDesign, the Over App, Canva, Photoshop and many others. When designing your own Pinterest templates, you need to have the following things in mind:
1. Font Pairings: You need to make sure to pair the right fonts. It can take time to decide what fonts fit best to use for your brand and for the template. A good rule of thumb is to use no more than 3 different fonts. Some good font pairings include sans serif fonts with cursive fonts, and sans serif fonts and serif fonts. The difference between the ones you will choose depend on your brand. For example, if you are a fun and young brand that focuses on more modern aspects, I would recommend to use sans serif and cursive font pairings. If you are a more structured and an older brand that just wants to refresh the aesthetics then try sticking to serif and sans serif fonts. Take a look at the differences below between the 3 font styles:
2. Color Palettes: Selecting the right color palette is also important. You need to make sure the colors you are selecting match with your brand. For example, if your brand color palette consists of different shades and tones of pink, then try designing templates that match the aesthetics. This is important even when you are editing pre-made templates because you want to ensure that when people see the template they know it is from your brand. When selecting color palettes, it is important to understand the psychology of color, but more on that on our next post!
3. Logo: Every time you are editing a pre-made template or designing your own, remember to place your logo or website somewhere within that template. This will ensure that others don't just copy and steal your design. It also ensures that when others save your pins to their boards or share them on other platforms, that people know it is from your brand. This is crucial when it comes to branding your content and developing your personal/small business brand. To learn more about the importance of branding and other social media tips to grow your business get this great ebook, Social Media Power, explaining everything you need to know to get website traffic and make sales!
4. Pre-Designed Templates: When you don't have the time to sit and design a template from scratch, it is best to go with a pre-made Pinterest template. Like I said before, there are many pre-designed platform-specific templates on Canva, but there are also many bloggers that create their own packs of templates. Some good template designs made by other bloggers that I've seen and can be edited to fit your brand include: New Lune's 100 Pinterest Templates, Amber Page's 45 Pretty Pinterest Templates, and Sarah's 21 Pinterest Pin Templates for Canva.
These are my main tips for creating the best Pinterest Templates. I hope you guys find them helpful along with my other graphic design posts on the JM blog. Let me know in the comments if there is any graphic design topic you would like covered in the future. Thanks for reading!
By: Johana M. Caba, M.A.
Video editing does not have to be difficult! Usually we think only big influencers, trained professionals and self-taught creators can edit videos like a pro. But, there are video editing apps on the app store that can make it easier. I am a self-taught video editor using Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe Premiere Rush, but there are many apps that can make it easier for you to edit, even when you are on-the-go and don't have time. I decided to write this post to help fellow bloggers and creators after I saw how many loved my post on photo editing apps and Instagram stories tips. In this post, I will go over 4 apps that are good to use for beginners.
1. Adobe Premiere Rush: This Adobe app is easy to use and gives you flexibility when editing. You do not have to be on desktop to do a good edit because this app allows you to do it on your phone. You can put clips together, add background music, add titles and subtitles, add logos and graphics, and it makes sharing easy. The app includes social media sharing. Some more features it includes are being able to enhance colors and adjust the speed of your clips. There are two versions that you can have. The FREE version allows you 3 exports, access to all features, and only 2GB of storage. The paid version costs $9.99 per month and includes unlimited exports, access to all features, sync projects on mobile and desktop, and 100GB of storage.
2. Splice: This is a FREE video editing app for iPhone and iPad. Another easy to use video editing app, it allows you to edit on your phone and share online. Some of the features it includes are trimming, transitions, sound effects, borders, background music and voice over. They also allow you to add text to your videos. On their Splice Blog, they have a lot of editing tutorials and tips if you are interested in using this mobile app to edit your videos.
3. InShot: This is a FREE iOS and Android app. It is essentially an all in one app where you can edit the video by trimming and adding sound effect while being able to add text, effects, filters and stickers. This app also includes a canvas feature that lets you adjust the video to the dimensions of the platform you will be sharing it on. The app does not have many tutorials or tips on how to use it, but while researching I found this blog post on Elegant Themes that might be helpful if you want to use this app.
4. KineMaster: This app is very popular because it brings a lot of professional video editing features to an app that is not difficult to use. It allows users to add many layers including text, handwriting overlays, transition effects, audio and image layers. Like the other apps, it allows for sharing on social media. This app is available on iOS and Android. It is not a free app aside from the 7-day free trial. It costs $4.99 per month or $39.99 per year. Some of the other features that this app includes are stickers, themes, frame-by-frame trimming, audio filters, animation styles, and much more!
These 4 apps are easy to use for beginners and include great features for attention-grabbing social media videos. The majority of them are free while some have paid versions. From experience, Adobe Rush and Adobe Spark are easy to use for editing quick videos that are ready to share on social media. Adobe Spark also has a video editing app on mobile and it is also available to use on desktop. I hope these apps help you on your content creation journey for your social media marketing and content marketing purposes.
By: Marlene I. Urena
So you have implemented a social media strategy for your business, but you don’t know how to monitor its success. This is where social media analytics comes in handy! Tracking social media analytics is a vital step for business success because it can expose any areas that need improvement in your company’s online strategy. Let’s go over how social media analytics work and what they can reveal
How do these tools work?
Social media platforms each have their analytics available for business pages and even personal accounts. This tool allows you to monitor multiple metrics that can be used to analyze how well your social media strategy is working. The information provided by these metrics is public, but no personal information is compromised in the numbers these platforms expose. There are even other analytics tools like HootSuite and Social Studio, which allow you to monitor the performance of multiple accounts on different platforms, giving you an overall view of how your company’s marketing strategy is performing online.
Before looking at any analytics on social media, however, businesses must review the goals of their strategy. Did you want to boost your engagement total by 1,000 per post? Did you want to shorten your response time to under 2 minutes? By defining the goals of your strategy, you will be able to effectively analyze whether or not it is performing as intended. You will be able to see if the outcome of the strategy falls in line with the numbers you wanted to achieve. If not, then there needs to be a re-evaluation of the strategy to find out what can be done in a better way. Overall, Social media analytics are great tools to use in measuring the success of a social media strategy and business can only benefit from employing their use.
By: Johana M. Caba, M.A.
What is a content calendar? You might have heard of content calendars, editorial calendars and marketing calendars but you might not know what those terms mean. Well, a content calendar, editorial calendar or marketing calendar are used in the marketing and public relations industries to create strategic plans for businesses and and individual clients. By definition, a content calendar is a publishing schedule that is used by bloggers, businesses, and other organizations to plan and publish content across different media outlets like magazines, blogs, social media, newsletters and newspapers. If you have never heard of these terms, then you might not know where to start. As a new blogger, content creator or small business it is important for you to develop a content calendar to plan, create and publish content throughout different media outlets to aid you in your promotional strategies. Below are some tips on creating your first content calendar and if you want the full guide, you can purchase it at the end of this post for $8 USD. We also have a FREE Beginners Guide to a Public Relations Plan for Small Business and Bloggers which you can get right now in your inbox by subscribing to our newsletter.
Disclaimer: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program and in the Canva Affiliate Program, these are affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com, Canva.com and affiliated sites.